Golf Starz recap and look forward on the FedEx Cup this week:
Wow – we have been witnessing some awesome golf as of late and the NORTHERN TRUST did not disappoint either. Oh, and can we ask for a better start to the FedEx Cup playoffs? I don’t think so!
The field was full and the leader board was crowded with top players. We had guys like Fowler, Spieth and Vegas playing world class golf and then guys like Kuchar, Watson, Rahm, Rose and DJ chasing them. I think a ton of viewers changed the channel after Spieth’s first 9 holes Sunday which was a big mistake because his lead quickly went from 5 shots to 1 in matter of minutes.
Ultimately, it came down to the two best players on the planet to fight it out with 3 holes to play. DJ’s par save on 18 to force a playoff was clutch and then to watch him turn around and bomb his drive 341 yards over the lake in the playoff hole was ridiculous (and had me jacked up).
With that said it looks like it’s going to be a battle to the end for the FedEx Cup. For those not familiar with the format here is the cliff notes version.
And with his fourth victory of the 2017 season, DJ collects 2,000 FedEx Cup points and moves to number one which is 1,200 points ahead of Spieth. And that puts Dustin Johnson at the top of the 2017 U.S. Presidents Cup team list with 10,353 points.
Rank, Player, FedEx Points
1. Dustin Johnson; 4,466
2. Jordan Spieth; 3,871
3. Justin Thomas; 3,044
4. Hideki Matsuyama; 2,869
5. Jon Rahm; 2,404
6. Rickie Fowler; 1,996
7. Brooks Koepka; 1,768
8. Daniel Berger; 1,717
9. Charley Hoffman; 1,694
10. Jhonattan Vegas; 1,673
Moving into the Dell Technologies Championship (TPC Boston) there are a lot of guys who took advantage of excellent showings at the Northern Trust and position themselves nicely. The storylines are getting good as the players fight to move into the top 70 in FedExCup points this week. So watch out for guys like Harold Varner III, David Lingmerth and Bubba Watson – they have a chance to make some noise this week and you know they are hungry for a big win.
- See why the Dell Tech Championship is Boston worthy here.
- You can get the first look at the second leg of the FedEx Cup playoffs here.
- And you can find the tee times for the top 100 players in the FedExCup standings here.
To get our followers involved, we have decided to celebrate DJ’s win with a giveaway. We have done this for a few weeks now so you should know the format. Comment below who your favorite and long shot picks are for this week and we will pick at random (you don’t need to pick the winner) two people to receive the following prize package:
- A signed picture of Dustin Johnson (from our friends over at Body Armor), a sleeve of Golf Starz golf balls (not sold in stores), a Golf Starz Hat and a Body Armor golf towel.
Literally, you have nothing to lose – again you don’t have to pick the winner. Share with your friends and if we get enough entries we may add more prizes.
Check out our picks below. Just as a reminder, we take a favorite and a long shot.
- Fed Ex Cup: Justin Thomas
- Dell Tech Favorite: Justin Thomas
- Dell Tech Long Shot: Jason Dufner
- Fed Ex Cup: Rickie Fowler
- Dell Tech Favorite: Rory McIllroy
- Dell Tech Long Shot: Bubba Watson
- Fed Ex Cup: Jordan Spieth
- Del Tech Favorite: Dustin Johnson
- Dell Tech Long Shot: Harold Varner III
We will not be taking entries past 7:30AM EST Friday so make sure you get yourself entered before then!